Term Dates 2019
Gifted and Talented
Gifted and Talented children have different and specific needs in the school setting. At Otonga we strive to provide opportunities in order for these children to reach their full potential in life.
- Each year staff identify gifted and talented children through a prescribed series of screening tools that also request parent knowledge.
- We have established a Gifted and Talented register to track and evaluate their individual needs and show how they have been catered for.
- Identified gifted children are "clustered" at junior, middle and senior level, because we believe they learn better when they can challenge each other.
- These identified children are taught by teachers who have knowledge about gifted education.
- Out of class extension and enrichment opportunities are provided through specialist modules.
- Children are also extended through Cross grouping in maths, as well as rotations and electives based on teacher strengths.
- Teachers receive ongoing professional development and access to specialised resources for their programmes.